Saturday, April 12, 2008

Life list 11-20

11. Semi-retire by age 56 - Why 56? Because it's 25 years from now and, should I make it that far, it seems that's long enough to work full-time. Maybe it's not realistic, but I would like to completely retire by 65 ... when I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

12. Attend a concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater - I've visited this place twice, but haven't been there for a concert. The place is gorgeous ... and it attracts some damn good bands, too.

13. Visit Vancouver - This item, and the next two, would have happened two summers ago if not for The Tax Bill From Hell, which forced us to spend our vacation savings.

14. Visit Alaska

15. Take a cruise

16. Make a batch of dad's spaghetti sauce - My dad used to own his own restaurant and is an excellent cook. About once a year, he makes spaghetti sauce in a 50-quart pot. It makes the house smell wonderful.

17. Cook dinner with my children more often than not - Elsie has changed many of my priorities. Something I had never considered before her arrival was the importance of leaving work on time to get home and have a family dinner. I'm already doing my best to achieve this one ... even if "cooking" means shaking up a bottle of formula and mashing up a banana.

18. Go on a ski trip to Colorado - I've only been skiing a few times and only in Minnesota, which is kind of like saying, "I've only drank alcohol a couple times and it was peach schnapps."

19. Go wild turkey hunting - For work I sometimes travel to the Southeast to interview people who grow pine trees. Some of these people have convinced me that wild turkey hunting is an excellent experience, whether it's done with a shotgun, a bow or a camera.

20. Host a surprise party for someone - Doesn't this sound fun? I mean, assuming it goes off without a hitch and the person is legitimately surprised.

3 comments:

cycledork said...

Skiing in Colorado is a fuckin' blast. Your experience in Minnesota is more like drinking O'Doul's than schnapps. And I liked skiing in Minnesota. Really. It beats not skiing, after all, because skiing, wherever it happens, is a rush. Depending on where you go, you could always be able to say, "yeah, I remember the time I bombed down from the Continental Divide and cut through that fresh powder for a mile."

As far as the concert experience at Red Rocks, I should be able to report but, alas, I have nothing to offer.

I masterminded a surprise party for one of my sister's 50th birthdays. My brother-in-law and nephews did all the work. It was perfect. My sisters and I also cooked one up for one of my dad's birthdays and it blew his mind. I encourage this endeavor.

Randy said...

CD, you're giving O'Doul's too much credit. Skiing in Minnesota (compared to the back bowls at Vail) is like drinking warm piss that's been sitting in a bucket for three weeks.

I can report on Red Rocks. Greatest. Place. On. Earth. Some of the shows I've seen, most of which end up in my top ten ever: Phish (three times), Dave Matthews (late 90s...when his music was original and not when he was putting out the same album for the ninth time), Widespread Panic (VIP seats...I saw all three shows and made $300 on the weekend).

I didn't plan the surprise party, but attended one for my bro-in-law's 40th birthday. But I did pick up the keg, so I kind of planned it (my part in the planning was saying 'I'll pick up the keg.').

SAE said...

Randy- Please tell me you netted $300 at Widespread Panic selling PB&J sandwiches out of the sliding door of a rusty VW bus ...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm sure all those shows were a blast, even if you left reeking of patchouli.